Open Position: Granary Operator/Packaging Room Assistant
Bluebird Grain Farms is a certified organic “plow to plate” grain producer located in Winthrop, Washington. We specialize in the production of ancient grains such as Emmer Farro and Einka Farro, and also heirloom wheat and rye. We grow the majority of our own grain, produce most of our own seed, and clean, mill, and package our products in our granary for both retail, CSA, and wholesale markets. We are currently seeking a Granary Operator/Packaging Room Assistant.
The Granary Operator/Packaging Room Assistant is responsible for running Bluebird’s grain cleaning machinery, hammer mill, and other processing equipment to ensure a supply of top quality whole grains, flour, and Bluebird custom mixes to fill weekly retail and wholesale orders, and for weighing, packaging, and shipping Bluebird products in 1, 5, and 25 pound quantities. The position also involves occasional field/farming work in the spring and fall. The ideal candidate will have an eye for quality, the ability to multitask and prioritize during busy times, and the ability to perform physically demanding repetitive tasks for several hours at a time. We are looking for a motivated individual who’s not afraid to work hard!
- Assess weekly wholesale orders; make weekly work plan to ensure orders are filled in a timely fashion
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure a supply of bulk grains and flour to fill weekly retail orders
- Operate machinery including tractor with forklift attachment, hammer mill, bulk product mixer, huller, fanning mill, gravity deck, and manual bag sewing machine.
- Package 1, 2, 5, and 25 pound retail bags with Bluebird products, both manually and with an automated scale.
- Load pallets onto freight truck; assist with shipping UPS and US Mail orders.
- Inventory granary supplies; ensure that new supplies are ordered in a timely fashion.
- Perform weekly clean out of granary building and machinery; maintain general cleanliness and organization of facility
- Perform scheduled maintenance on machinery
- Occasionally assist with farm field work, irrigation, and other tasks as directed by the Head Farmer
- Complete other tasks as directed by the Head Farmer
Bluebird’s Expectations/Desired Skills:
- Scheduling flexibility: The position is 30-40 hours/week, and the weekly schedule will vary somewhat depending on order volume. Guaranteed full-time work (possibly salaried) may be available for the right candidate after a trial period.
- Previous tractor experience and mechanical experience are highly desired.
- Accurate tracking of hours for the benefit of both employee and employer
- Good personal hygiene is required. No tobacco or illegal drugs on granary premises.
- Flexibility in actual jobs within the business with the priority being managing/operating the granary: Processing orders, supplies, shipping and deliveries.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly, ability to work in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stay focused and work efficiently while performing repetitive, physically demanding tasks.
- HONESTY at all times, including mistakes. Respectful of owners and other employees.
- Positive attitude toward Bluebird Grain Farms in the greater community.
- Bring productive ideas of change to employer’s attention and for discussion.
- Open communication.
- Timely payment for services with all taxes taken care of as required by law.
- Positive and supportive environment both in-house and in the greater community.
- Some flexibility as to days off etc.
- Honesty and communication on our end.
- 15 POUNDS/month allowance of bulk Bluebird products for personal use, plus option to buy retail products at wholesale price
- Will be clear on intention and plan ahead best as possible.
- Employment will start with a 3-month trial period. Following the trial period, a pay increase will be discussed.
- Employee will be asked to occasionally use their personal vehicle for work duties (local deliveries, transportation between fields and granary, etc). Bluebird will compensate (fuel) employee for any business use of employee vehicle i.e, work –truck beyond use of employee’s transportation. Also, employer will repair any damage Bluebird causes to said vehicle.
Position is open until filled. If interested, please submit a resume and references to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Trial period wage is DOE.