We are currently seeking a 1/2- 3/4 time Granary Assistant Operator
The Granary Assistant Operator is responsible for running Bluebird’s grain cleaning machinery, hammer mill, and other processing equipment to ensure a supply of top quality whole grains, flour, and Bluebird custom mixes to fill weekly retail and wholesale orders, and for weighing, packaging, and shipping Bluebird products in 25 pound quantities. The position also involves occasional help in our Retail Packaging Room and in field/farming work in the spring and fall. The ideal candidate will have an eye for quality, the ability to multitask and prioritize during busy times, and the ability to perform physically demanding repetitive tasks for several hours at a time. We are looking for a motivated individual who’s not afraid to work hard!
- Assess weekly wholesale orders; make weekly work plan to ensure orders are filled in a timely fashion
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure a supply of bulk grains and flour to fill weekly retail orders
- Operate machinery including tractor with forklift attachment, hammer mill, bulk product mixer, huller, fanning mill, gravity deck, and manual bag sewing machine.
- Fill 25 pound retail bags with Bluebird products, both manually and with an automated scale.
- Load pallets onto freight truck; assist with shipping UPS and US Mail orders.
- Inventory granary supplies; ensure that new supplies are ordered in a timely fashion.
- Perform weekly clean out of granary building and machinery; maintain general cleanliness and organization of facility
- Accurately complete daily job log
- Perform scheduled maintenance on machinery
- Occasionally assist with farm field work, irrigation, and other tasks as directed by the Head Farmer
- Complete other tasks as directed by the Head Farmer
- Previous tractor experience and mechanical experience are highly desired, but we will train the right candidate on these skills.
- Attention to detail in packaging, product inspection, and hour tracking.
- Ability to follow a schedule and work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly, ability to work in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stay focused and work efficiently while performing repetitive, physically demanding tasks.
- Good personal hygiene is required. No tobacco or illegal drugs on granary premises.
- HONESTY at all times, including mistakes. Respectful of owners and other employees.
- Positive attitude toward Bluebird Grain Farms in the greater community.
- Bring productive ideas of change to employer’s attention and for discussion.
- Open communication.
- Position is open until filled and starts as soon as possible.
- Position starts with a 3 month trial period; after successful completion of which a pay raise will be discussed.
- You will be asked to use your personal vehicle for work duties (local deliveries and transportation to and from Bluebird’s fields). Bluebird will compensate you for any business use of your vehicle.
- The position starts at $15-17 per hour, DOE, with strong potential for wage growth for hard-working individuals.
- 15 pounds/month allowance of bulk Bluebird products for personal use, plus option to purchase retail products at wholesale price.
Position is open until filled. If interested, please submit a resume and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 509-996-3526.