posted as of 9-14-21
Bluebird Grain Farms in Winthrop, WA is seeking a part time (24 hrs. per week) Granary Assistant
Bluebird Grain Farms LLC in Winthrop, WA. is seeking a part time granary assistant, 24 hours per week, to support our staff in grain cleaning, processing, and filling orders. The ideal candidate works well with others, is reliable, has an eye for quality, is okay with multitasks and enjoys physical labor. This position will start as part-time with the potential to increase to full-time and move into other Bluebird positions. Paid vacation leave + retirement plan available after 6 months of successful employment. Position open until filled. Covid vaccination required. Please send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org for a full job description or call our office at 509.996.3526. Hourly Pay: D.O.E.
**FULL Detailed Job Description**
Bluebird Grain Farms is a certified organic “plow to plate” grain producer located in Winthrop, Washington. We specialize in the production and sourcing of ancient grains such as Emmer Farro and Einkorn Farro, and also heirloom wheat and rye. We clean, mill, and package products in our granary for both retail, CSA, wholesale, and distributor markets.
I. Position Description
The Granary Operator/Millwright is responsible for providing labor support to our lead granary operator in running Bluebird’s grain cleaning machinery, hammer mill, and other processing equipment to ensure a supply of top quality whole grains, flour, and Bluebird custom mixes to fill weekly retail, wholesale, and distributor orders. This entails cleaning, weighing, packaging, and shipping Bluebird products in 25 pound quantities and providing key support to our lead granary operator.
The ideal candidate will support and work well with our lead operator, have an eye for quality, the ability to multitask and prioritize during busy times, and the ability to perform physically demanding repetitive tasks for several hours at a time. We are looking for a motivated individual who is looking for long-term employment on a growing team. This position will start as part-time with the potential to increase to full-time and move into other Bluebird positions.
- Coordinate with supporting the lead granary operator/millwright to understand the weekly work plan for filling bulk orders.
- Coordinate with packaging room staff to ensure they have a supply of bulk grains and flour to fill weekly retail orders.
- Operate machinery including tractor with forklift attachment, hammer mill, bulk product mixer, huller, fanning mill, gravity deck, and manual bag sewing machine.
- Fill 25 pound retail bags with Bluebird products, both manually and with an automated scale.
- Load pallets onto freight trucks; assist with shipping UPS and US Mail orders
- Complete other tasks as directed by the operations manager
- Attention to detail in packaging, product inspection, and equipment function.
- Arrive on time and be reliable and pleasant to work with
- Ability to follow a schedule and work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift between 25 and 50 pounds
- Ability to stay focused and work efficiently while performing repetitive, physically demanding tasks.
- Willingness to bring productive ideas of change to employer’s attention and for discussion.
- Ability to be flexible in working 2 to 3 days per week depending on the workload. Schedule will be determined at hiring.
II. Bluebird’s Expectations
- Previous tractor experience and mechanical experience are highly desired, but we will train the right candidate on these skills.
- Good personal hygiene is required. No tobacco is permitted on the granary premises. No illegal drugs will be consumed during work hours or on the granary premises. 3. Scheduling flexibility: The position starts at approximately 20-25 hours/week, and the weekly schedule will vary somewhat depending on order volume and employee needs.
- Honesty at all times, including acknowledgement of mistakes.
- Respectful attitude towards owners and other employees and a positive attitude toward Bluebird Grain Farms in the greater community.
- Granary Operators must possess a working cell phone, and have the ability to use text messaging apps
- Covid-19 Vaccination REQUIRED per FDA requirements
III. Other Information
- Position is open until filled and starts as soon as possible.
- Position starts with a 3 month trial period; after successful completion of which a pay raise and future hours will be discussed.
- You may be asked to use your personal vehicle for work duties (local deliveries and transportation to and from Bluebird’s fields). Bluebird will compensate you for any business use of your vehicle.
IV. Compensation & Benefits
- Pay, DOE, with strong potential for wage growth and full time hours for the right candidate. Starting wages vary between $18-22 DOE.
- Paid Time Off vacation days will accrue after 3 months of successful employment..
- Paid Sick Leave will be accrued based on hours worked.
- Eligible for Bluebird’s Simple IRA retirement plan after 6 months of successful employment.
Position is open until filled. If interested, please submit:
- a written email or short video explaining why you are a good fit for this position that contains:
- A short resume with current work experience that includes contact information
- Two references from your most recent work environment
Subject: Part Time Granary Position
Please Note. Vaccination is Required for this position.
Serious inquiries only; candidates looking for a long-term, stable work environment need only apply. We are a small but mighty team and want employees who want to learn and grow with our team. This job requires a minimum of 6 months of training before operating at the job’s capacity, stable reliable individuals seeking employment who are committed to working as a team member and interested in long term employment will have priority.