Bluebird Grain Farms is currently seeking a Plant Operations Manager / Annual Salary Position: $45k to $55k D.O.E.
Bluebird Grain Farms is an organic producer and processor of food-grade ancient grain products. We sell our products locally, regionally, and nationally. We are located in Winthrop, Washington.
Bluebird Grain Farms needs the expertise of an operations manager who can manage and develop the infrastructure to continue our growth and be proactive so that operational infrastructure is effective before it is necessary. This role is accountable for the development and achievement of daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and long-term goals and objectives as well as continuous improvement initiatives related to people/team development, safety, quality, customer service, cost, working capital, waste, and environmental management.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Managing sourcing and purchasing, manufacturing and facility operations.
- Ensure that the facility operates in a safe efficient and effective manner ensuring our customers consistently receive products at the quality level expected.
- Optimize production and labor scheduling based upon customer demands and internal projections.
- Manages process introductions, production schedule, production procedures and continuous improvement efforts for each manufacturing area.
- Tracks key indicators of the production team’s performance including safety, efficiency, waste, downtime, labor costs and communicating these to owners for further action.
- Recognizes areas of needed performance improvements and actively works to improve systems.
- Work with suppliers to ensure optimal pricing, product specifications are being delivered, the product meets quality levels and the manufacturing is meeting proper certifications.
- Drive efficiencies in operations to improve overall product margins, maintain quality and optimize inventory levels.
- Work with the team at identifying infrastructure and plant enhancements in all areas of responsibility.
- Oversees, implements, and maintains USDA Organic and FDA Food manufacturing compliance and inspection logs.
- Oversee manufacturing operations while maintaining production during a move to a new facility and the transition to third party manufacturing.
- Expertly trains or arranges training for assigned personnel on production-related topics and machinery in both processing and packaging lines.
- Supervise and motivate team members by setting a good example with regard to attitude, work quality, safe practices, attendance, follow-through and organization.
- 5+ years experience as an accomplished manager in manufacturing or related industry, with a career showing steadily increasing responsibilities
- Strong management and organizational skills including a track record for attracting the right people and developing a cohesive culture that fosters teamwork, clear communication and efficiency
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and Google Drive and Google Docs.
- Experience dealing with USDA, organic and/ or FDA inspectors, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree desired but not required if the applicant has ample work experience
- Can do, positive attitude.
- Ability to work 40 hours on average and put in longer hours when necessary to get the job done and support production staff.
- Honesty and open communication at all times, including mistakes.
- Willingness to use personal vehicles. Bluebird will compensate you for any business use of your vehicle. Willingness to travel regionally on a regular basis and overnight travel a couple of times a year to attend trade conventions.
- Good personal hygiene is required. No tobacco, smoking or drugs on granary premises.
- Minimum 3-year commitment
The position is a salary position that will range between $45k to $55k /per year, D.O.E, with two weeks paid vacation.
- The position is open until filled
- Position starts with a 3 month trial period; after successful completion of a formal contract will be signed.
- A personal cell phone is required for frequent communication with Bluebird staff via text.
If interested, please submit:
- A cover letter of interest
- A full resume with your education, training, and most recent work experience.
- 3 work references (at least one reference in recent work history) with email and phone numbers.
- Please send an application to firstname.lastname@example.org please include both a phone number and email address for the reference.
We will review your application and get back to you within two weeks. We will request an onsite interview with qualified candidates. Serious inquiries only, please.