Facts About Bluebird Grain Farms Signature Grain “Emmer Farro”
Nutritious – high in protein, trace minerals, and insoluble fiber
- 20% or more protein but only a trace of gluten
- Our emmer farro is a true whole food – it sprouts
- Abundant trace minerals (iron, zinc, magnesium and niacin)
- Great source of insoluble fiber which feeds the friendly bacteria in your gut
- 1 cup of emmer farro has a significant nutritional value over rice, barley, pasta
- Vegan friendly – just combine with a legume or bean to make a complete protein
Delicious and “easy” to cook with!
- A little cooking time upfront will save you time and money in the long run
- Cook like pasta until al dente and then drain excess water (about 50 minutes)
- Maintains texture and flavor, unlike rice, pasta and barley when overcooked
- Retains a plump and chewy body and texture for several days after it’s cooked
- Storability – cook ahead (larger quantity), store in the fridge, or freeze it for later
- Versatility – delicious hot or cold (cook risotto style, create whole grain salads, add to soups)
We grow organic whole grain that is NOT “pearled”
- “Pearling” is shaving off the outer layer of a whole grain for quicker cooking time. Pearled grain is not true whole grain!
- By not pearling our grain, you get the full complement of fiber, protein, and nutrients that our emmer and einkorn has to offer.
- The first cultivated grain
- Farmed for over 10,000 years
- The ancestor of modern wheat
- A revered grain from Italy to Egypt