Recipe adapted from The Silver Palate
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 cups Bluebird Grain Farms Einkorn Flour (our Pasayten Hard White Flour also works well if you prefer a denser cake)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tightly packed Tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Lemon Icing (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit. Grease a 10-inch tube pan (or bundt pan).
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, blending well after.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add lemon zest and juice.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set on the middle rack of oven and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool cake in pan, set on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and ice with Lemon Icing (below) while cake is still warm.
1 pound powdered sugar (3 or 4 cups)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Cream sugar and butter thoroughly. Mix in lemon zest and juice; spread on cake.